Thursday, June 7, 2018

Week 24 of 52

I could say the good the bad and the ugly but it is so much more than that. This week tells you all about the type of school year Jack has had. For starters, he made history. He was part of the inaugural year in sports for his school that opened August 2016. His school, in the Fall, had a boys soccer team and girls and boys cross country teams. The boys soccer team brought the school their first win in any sport and won all of their home games and a few more.

Monday the school had an all sports banquet for all of the kids who played any sport for the school this year. I had no idea that this would occur, but so glad it did. I am not a big believer is participation awards. However, these kids at this school were the first to accomplish it and I believe they should be recognized. No one else can change the fact that the soccer team gave the school it's first victory or the girls basketball was the winning-est team of all the school sports this year. The kids need to be acknowledged for that.

Jack had been talking about the banquet and hoped additional awards would be given out. He wanted to be MVP. In my mind I was freaking out. If Katie and Jack won MVP in the same year how cool would that be. But what if he didn't win it or they did not give it out. How would I help him cope with that loss or disappointment. Had I been a good enough sports parent that he would congratulate whoever won it and be happy for them. But then I am like wait he scored the most goals, played any position that was needed and even passed the ball to other players to help them score instead of taking it himself. Secretly I think I wanted him to win it too. AND HE DID!!! Both of my soccer players were named MVP of their school teams.

Thursday is the last day of school and the and only a half day for Jack and Madi so I decided to let them skip. We have a tradition to keep. Every year since Phil's brother Jason's ashes were put to sea we go to the beach as soon as school gets out. We could not find a week long stay and the girls have camp next week so we had to make it a long weekend.

Now you are thinking this all sounds pretty good there is no ugly here. Oh but wait my friends. You see I had a very busy Wednesday at work budget meeting, check run and making sure everything was done so I could enjoy my weekend at the beach. I was at work may be 30 minutes when I receive a call from the school. "Hi this is Ms............ from the school, Mr. ............. (the vice principal) asked me to give you a call Jackson threw a water bottle at another student and hit him in the head. He cannot participate in field day he needs to be picked up."

I asked to speak with Jack because I could not pick him up myself. He was crying because he knew he was in trouble. I gently reminded him that no matter the mistake that I still loved him and that would never change. But I also told him I was very disappointed at his choices and that I would have to punish him for his bad decision. As a kid when you know you are in trouble it can be scary. I didn't want Jack to be afraid I wanted him to take his punishment and be able to move on.

Inside.....I was furious. I had to ask my very wonderful friend to get Jack and bring him home. Phil had to leave side work from half way across the world to come home and put Jack to work. He was NOT going to enjoy this day at home. But Phil also needed to sleep, he had to work Wednesday night before we left Thursday morning so I had to come and relieve him. What Jack did was stupid. It was not done with malicious intent and the school was already punishing him so I made him work until it was the end of the school day.

There is no excuse for what Jack did. My problem is that he has a very bad figiting problem when he is asked to stand still and wait. This especially becomes a problem when it is for any extended period of time. We are working on ways to help him with it. But is is a struggle. He did apologize to the other student without being told too and was truly sorry for the mistake he made. I cannot do anything else except move on. Jack has been maturing this past year and I hope that all of this is out of his system so he can really show who he can be in 8th grade. He will be part of the first graduating class of the school next year and I want him to enjoy that. Being a part of history can be really cool.

My MVP

A parents love should always be unconditional, but some days it is truly tested.

TTFN~

No comments: