Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Ten years and counting......and hoping......

Today is a big day! It is the anniversary of the scariest day of my life. The day I learned about CHD's. The day I learned never to take anything for granted no matter how small it may seem. Ten years ago today I learned that Madelynn at three months old has a Congenital Heart Defect. I sat in the hospital with her overnight to await her life saving open heart surgery that saved her life.

I won't lie today is a hard day for me. I am thrilled and grateful that Madelynn has reached 10 years. I am in awe at the gift we have been given the overwhelming realization brings tears to my eyes. But I also know way to many CHD warriors that died between their 12th and 25th birthday. There is a part of me that carries a little guilt that my child lives and theirs did not. I wonder if Madelynn will defy so many odds and live past her 18th birthday. Why did Madelynn survive? What is it that she needs to do in this life with this gift she has been given. 

There is a tradition in our house that each child gets a video at the 5 year markers in life. So here is Madelynn's. The fact she had reached the 10 year marker is a true gift.



Happy Heart Day Madelynn!! We love you and every part of this journey, even on the hard days. The hard days are what made us who me are today. Love you to the moon and back!

~TTFN
Mama

No comments: